Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer 2012 Recap

  Whew!  It has been the busiest summer of my life...and a totally different summer for me.  The past 39 summers of my life have been spent playing in my yard, swimming, going to school, working, teaching summer school, watching my children, and swimming some more.  This summer was softball and baseball!!  Truthfully, I believe I attended about 90 games this summer.  Abby's travel softball team was busy in Pontiac, Kankakee, East Peoria, Decatur, and Indiana.  Trevor's baseball team was busy in Kankakee, Momence, and Limestone.  I certainly did learn a lot about baseball/softball.  There were a few days here and there where we didn't have any games and we could relax and have a little fun.  We did manage to get both of my sisters and their kids down to visit the farm.  The kids and I managed to visit my nephew Michael in Kentucky.  Trevor attended two weeks of summer camp.  Abby and I squeezed in a short visit to Glenview and I did manage to have a craft day with my sisters.  The highlight of the summer, for me, was when my newest niece was born!  We just welcomed Penelope into the world and I got to spend an amazing two and a half days in Chicago helping my parents take care of O and Alex.  There is nothing better than a summer day in Chicago with the sun shining!  I got to do some shopping, eat at Water Tower Place, visit Penelope and Bec in the hospital, get a manicure and pedicure, and eat some cupcakes.  It was a wonderful end to the summer.
  Yes, I do say end to the summer.  To me, when I start getting into my classroom, the summer is officially over.  Tomorrow will be my first work day in my classroom -- it's about time I started because I am back to work on the 20th!!  I am excited about this year.  Last year was a really difficult year and I did survive.  Therefore, I know that this year will be better!!  This is also a big year for me.  First of all, I am starting my 19th year of teaching!!  I can't believe it.  Some days it feels like just yesterday that I graduated from college.  Also, my oldest son will be entering 8th grade.  My first year of teaching was teaching a class of 8th grade English.  I can't believe that I am now old enough to have an 8th grader.  I am excited for him.  He has done so well in Junior High and I think this will be a great year for him!!  Additionally, Abby will be starting Junior High this year!  She is so excited....lockers, changing classes, lots of teachers, more sports, band, chorus, and maybe even Student Council.  I have said that this year, personally, will be a challenge.  I will teach 6th graders all day and then come home to my 8th and 6th grader.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!!  Lastly, I turn 40 at the end of the month.  Strangely enough, I am really looking forward to it.  I felt like my 20s were my starting point -- graduating from college, getting a job, getting married, and having 2 kids.  My 30s were a learning point -- making mistakes and learning from them.  I am hoping for my fabulous 40s -- age and wisdom will finally come into play!!
  So here's to a great end of summer for everyone and the beginning of a new fall!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a lovely letter. Mom loved it too!

Grammy aka Marilyn said...

Here's wishing you a wonderful year...and decade...ahead!

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great (busy) summer! I'm glad we got to see you and make it down to the farm. Have a great school year---you deserve it!